Friday, December 9, 2011

Where You Can Stick It

free-blood-glucose-meters

I guess being slightly diabetic is a bit like being slightly pregnant, but I am lucky that, so far, mine is easily controlled.  I take one pill a day and check my glucose levels in the morning when I think about it.  My A1C test results have been good for the past few years.

The meter I use is the Freestyle Lite.  They recently came out with a new test strip for this meter that makes it even easier to use, but the big advantage of this system is that I can stick myself in the arm or leg rather than in that bundle of nerves at the end of a finger.  It still hurts a little sometimes, but not nearly as much. 

Being able to do the test on some area other than the hands now seems more important that ever. A Japanese study, released this year, shows that people who have handled food recently often get elevated results – even if they cleaned their fingers with an alcohol swab.   You can see details HERE .

No comments:

Post a Comment