Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Bees in my trees


 We have had three large oak trees struck by lightning since the beginning of the year, and we had a crew out yesterday to cut them down.  

Two of the trees went like clockwork, but on the first one they tried they discovered a beehive about twenty feet up.  Since then, I've learned more about bees in trees than I ever needed to know.

For example, the beekeeper who will come relocate the bees for the hive is an urban myth.  The cheapest estimate I've heard was about $300, and that one came with a caveat.  

Everyone seems to agree that our best bet is to drop the tree then let it set for a while.  How long it should set is the question - I've been told everything from two days to two weeks.

The tree guys are coming back Monday to fell the tree.  Not sure what will happen after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment